The property is amongst a landscape that is part of the identity, spirituality, connection and resource base for the Aboriginal people of the Worimi Nation. The Worimi Nation was made up of several nurras (clan groups) who spoke the Kattang language.
The arrival of Europeans in the area resulted in progressive, and substantial, impacts on the Aboriginal traditional way of living. Sadly, in these early years of European settlement, little effort was made to record information about the traditions or language of the Aboriginal people, so comparatively little is known about the Worimi tradition and culture in the local area.
However, Wallingat National Park and the surrounding area was likely to be significant to these groups and the Worimi people were known to congregate around the Bungwahl area.
In 1824 the Australian Agriculture Company was formed and granted one million acres “to ‘extend and improve the flocks of Merino sheep’ in New South Wales”. However, the land around Bungwahl and what is now Wallingat National Park proved unsuitable for pastoral development. According to the Forestry Commission of NSW (FCNSW, 1960) exploitation of Wallingat’s timber resource appears to have commenced sometime in the 1860s. Sawmills located at Bungwahl, Neranie, Boolambayte and Forster-Tuncurry were all serviced by timber sourced from the park area. Logging continued as the main use of the area through until 1 January 1999 when the area was gazetted as Wallingat National Park and logging operations ceased. Aside from logging, the area was also widely used for grazing of stock and bee keeping.